Sunday, September 16, 2012

Still Losing, Which Is A Good Thing!

I am a loser!  Yes, a loser.  This week alone I have lost 7.2 lbs.  Why?  I am not sure, but I do think it's a mix of higher protein, a bit of fat (coconut oil) and more exercise.

I am really trying to get into the whole "hiking" thing.  I am not a fan of "walking".  Walking around the neighborhood, looking at people's homes, front lawns (or lack of a front lawn in the case of my house), avoiding speeding cars up and down our street.  It's just boring.  Same old dogs barking (and sometimes, chasing you), same old boring neighborhood.  It's just all so pointless. 

Instead, I would rather hit the hiking trails.  I live in Butte County which is full of outdoorsy activities, trails, and natural goodies!  Yesterday's plan was to hike a trail from the Lake Oroville State Recreation Park's Visitor's Center, and hike the one mile trail to Lake Oroville.  It was just going to be me and the Little's, then my MIL wanted to go.  I just didn't have the heart to say no, 'cause that woman doesn't go anywhere, and my FIL won't leave the comfort of the couch (or, for that matter, his meds) to go do anything.  So, she is willing, but she is also 66 years old, and has been stuck inside for the last 30 years of my FIL's boo boo back pains. 

So, I packed a lunch for the kids in their own backpacks (every man for himself) and my food and Grandma's lunch in my back pack, plus extra water (fun fact:  a gallon of water weighs 8 lbs) for her.  We got kind of caught up in the Visitor's Center museum, then the kids wanted to eat lunch (which I wanted to save for the arrival at Oroville Lake), so the best we could do was a 2/10 ths of a mile roam around the Visitor's Center. 

It's surrounded by Chaparral which is OK (they are little oak trees, if you have ever been up here, there are oak trees coming out of our ying-yang), not really high excitement.  But, after getting everyone to quiet down, I managed to scope out a red headed woodpecker.  Since the Littles are only 3 and 5, I am trying to train them how to be good observationists, good stewards, and to be aware of their surroundings.

It's not easy with Grandma, mainly because she has been in a virtual prison for the last 30 years, does know a lot (even though some of her info is a bit dated), but insists on being the lecturer rather than impart the info in a natural, teaching, manner (ie:  letting the kids observe and make their own conclusions), which is not easy.  I have been learning to not lecture, and to let the world teach with my guidance.

The Peanut (he's 3) was the first to wear out (and Grandma wasn't that far behind), so we left.  I really wanted more out of that trip.  It was a time for me and the boys.  I am finally to the point where I can do things.  I am working on being out and about, not hiding my big fat body away.  Not making the kids live vicariously through the TV.  Truthfully, I am not comfortable around my MIL.  Never mind, that's for Dr. Phil.

I am trying to get fit (and the kids too) for a hike to Feather Falls in the spring.  Feather Falls is a waterfall very close by, and there is a hiking trail (4.5 miles one way) to it.  I would just love to see it with my own eyes!  It would be a day hike for us (because the Littles are little, and the Colonel has tweeky knees), and we would have to go a moderate pace.  We can only travel as fast as the Peanut (he's got the shortest legs).  And everyone would have to hump in their own water and food and safety gear.

Life is really getting great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment