Thursday, December 13, 2012

Doin' OK Even With a Christmas Party on the Horizon

Down 1.2 lbs!  Yea!

I am almost at my first mini goal, 195 (1.2 lbs to go).  I am formulating a plan for today.  I am thinking IF with some broth until dinner.

I have an interesting dilemma coming up, Friday is my husband's company Christmas Party.  It is probably going to be a banquet, which will totally fly in the face of my Paleo-ness.  Rumor is that it is going to be Turkey and all the trimmings.  The problem comes in because of all the gravy, stuffing, mashed taters, and everything else.  I am hoping that I can corral the service staff and just get a plate of plain turkey and veggies, possibly a salad.  If not, I will be gracious, and just drink my iced tea, while keeping up a steady stream of conversation.  Did I ever tell you how much I don't like to talk small?  Weather talk is just stupid, when there is so much more going on in the world!  And, when people's lives are infinitely more interesting!

Another thing that is going to be difficult to deal with is being the center of attention.  The last Christmas Party, I talked about taking hCG, but most haven't seen me since then.  I am hoping that one of the wives will be there with her advanced pregnancy, and I can turn conversation toward the new baby, rather than my loss of 130 pounds and eating Paleo.

When my dinner arrives, all eyes just might be on me.  Again, I will just be gracious, and hopefully, we can skip out quickly.

I am probably worried about nothing.  I do plan to blog about the evening for my Primal and Paleo, Parenting and Passion blog, along with nifty smart phone pictures.  It's important to see how Paleo/Primal folk deal with SAD in society.  At home, it's easy, you cook, you keep the crap minimal (or even better, completely gone), and no one tries to tempt you ("it's only a little gravy, it won't hurt you..."), and you aren't tempted by all the goodies.  But, when you are in a setting where you don't have control of the food, you run into problems with service staff, the food itself (pre-made, processed, seed/veggie oils, margarine, hidden gluten, grains, especially corn, in everything), and again, standing out like a sore thumb to all those keeping your company.

This is where a few set rules come into play:

Order last:  asking questions and giving explanations takes some time, people want to order!

Thank the wait staff profusely:  You are slowing them down too, but you want them to be on your side.  Be as kind and gracious as possible.

A meal is no time to "preach" to your dining companions:  This is a hard one for the Paleo/Primal crowd and the Vegetarian/Vegan crowd.  We are all under the impression that we know more than anyone else about food and nutrition (and we do, at least us Paleo folks...LOL).  Answer any questions directly, but frame it only about yourself.  "All that meat and fat, aren't you afraid of cholesterol?"  "No, my number's are great, but thank you for asking."  Then, you need to be a good conversation dancer here, and change the subject, focusing on the questioner.  "How is your Christmas shopping going?" 

In a large crowd, eye's will be on you:  Suddenly you will find that you are the Paleo ambassador!  Since I have plenty to show for eating clean (130 lbs gone!), those with a bit of thickness around their middle, and the skinny crowd that can eat anything they want, will be watching how and what you eat.  Just roll with it.  It is a bit annoying, and frankly, rude on the other people's part, but it is inevitable.  Everyone wants the secret (there is none) or the magic cure (that doesn't exist either), to weight loss.  They themselves might need to lose weight, or maybe a friend or loved one.  Suddenly, you have all the answers (you don't).  Again, answer questions directly, and maybe even offer a book title (The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf, The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson), that they can get on Amazon or any book retailer.

Enjoy yourself:  Soon enough the bru ha ha will die down, and the conversations will turn to other things.  Anyone who is especially interested will approach you later to ask more questions.  I have learned that although society at large thinks that a gathering is about food, I like to think it's a gathering to reconnect with friends, they are what are important, not the food.


Most of these folks I see only once or twice a year.  Some I may not know, others I have known for 10 + years!  Yeah, we don't hang out together, but it always gives license for great conversation, catching up on our lives!

This should be interesting!  I just found out that the pregnant wife had a little girl yesterday!  Congratulations to Rachel and Brian on their new little blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment