Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Coming along

Hi all! Today is day 16, and yep, 16 burpees! I am getting very impressed with how strong these are making me. My 16th burpee was almost as good as my first. I did 8 then rested for a couple of minutes (well, made my bed), then did 5 more, then after a 60 second rest, completed the rest. All told, I exercised for about 4 minutes. Everyone knows that I don't put a huge priority on exercise. Diet is my main concern. Contrary to the general belief that it's all about calories in/calories out, it's not. Anyone who has ever done the chronic cardio thing knows that 2 hours on a treadmill, while only eating 1,000 calories, isn't going to slim you down. In fact, the USDA's high carb, low fat, diet isn't helping anyone lose weight. With the big push to eat the standard American diet, America as a whole has only gotten fatter. Low carb diets come and go. Right now it's on an up swing, and those who can are cashing in. That makes it even more important for those of us who want to eat right to read those labels. Once you do, you'll be amazed at the amount of chemicals and corn, are in EVERYTHING! I am having a heck of a time finding BBQ sauce. So read those labels! If the ingredients list is longer than your arm, put it back! Today is a shopping day. I will be going to Sprout's Farmers Market, which is a great place to get Primal/Paleo foods. Other than fruits and veggies, a Sprout's run is only for me. With the family diving head first back into SAD, it makes it very hard to stay on track with Paleo. I do keep a separate supply of food stuffs. I make my own mayo, have my own bottles of ketchup and BBQ sauce (I love condiments), which are made with sugar rather than high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). Since I am the only one who actually cooks, everyone else is compliant with what I cook. I tried out a new recipe I found on (Juli is a wonderful cook and now has a cookbook out, so check it out). It was a Honey Mustard Crunchy Chicken and Plantain salad. What I have come to learn with Paleo cooking, you will use ingredients you've never used before. A plantain is a member of the banana family, but isn't sweet. In fact, it doesn't seem to have much of it's own flavor, but instead absorbs the flavor surrounding it. It has a potato like consistency, and would be a great substitute for potatoes when using as a filler. Lately, I have had a mad craving for all things cake-y. I make sure that I acknowledge my craving, and then set about finding something else, or just ignore it. Something else will usually be some dark chocolate and a fruit (banana or orange). I may do some baking, but it will be Paleo. It's funny, for a group of people like my family, who are so dead set on eating crap, they will scarf my baked goods faster then anything! Off to start the day...

No comments:

Post a Comment