Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Busy Busy Busy

So much going on!

I was to start Crossfit last Monday, but unfortunately life got in the way.  My beloved Colonel was told that he needed to transfer to Sacramento to open a new office.  So, we are in the process of getting a house and preparing to move. 

I also went into the Whole 30 with good intentions (you know, the foundation of the road to Hell?), but have been a bit loosey goosey about the whole (no pun) thing.  I haven't strayed too far.  In fact, I am still trying to keep up with a healthy breakfast.  Yesterday was scrambled eggs with ham and some fried zucchini (in butter).  I am keeping the healthy greens flowing, the Grocery Outlet has a large box of organic spring lettuces that are really good at $4.99, so that helps with convenience and cost effectiveness.  I just plate up some greens, and throw on a protein.  Top with a homemade dressing (either Ranch or honey mustard).  Dinner is usually a protein and 2 veg, last night was baked chicken, broccoli, and pears (which I don't eat).  The problem with me is the in-between time, I have an orange and sometimes chocolate (dark of course).
So, all in all, I am doing good staying Paleo for the most part.

My weight is OK, at 193 lbs, which is only 8 lbs above goal, but I am having a real hard time getting into those 80's.  I have about 2 weeks until my girly time which means water retention and weight gain.  Hopefully, I won't skirt the 200's like I did last time, since there is no "holiday" excuse to eat in the Paleo fringes.

Paleo-ized foods can be just a damaging as standard foods.  Yeah, there is no grains, or legumes, but that doesn't mean that you would lose, in fact, they are really high in calories.

So many Paleo sites that have recipes focus on "replacements".  I am of the mindset that once in a while, "replacements" are good and tasty (breaded chicken strips, Paleo waffles/pancakes, muffins, biscuits...), but our focus should be on veggies, meat, and fat.  How can you go wrong?  Lots of veggies like salad, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus (in season, not now), kale and other greens, limited amounts of starchy veg like sweet potatoes and yams.  I've even come to terms with potatoes, once in a while, I will make the family gold potatoes or the like.  White potatoes are scary at best, especially with all the GMOs out there, so I avoid those like the plague.

You don't need fancy-schmancy meals that copy the standards.  Nothing is more American than chicken, salad, and veggies.  The difference is adding the extras that aren't needed, like mashed potatoes and bread.  Whether you are at home cooking, or out and about, you can always find something to eat. 

Since everything is so busy here, I will be posting sporadically, but still posting nevertheless.  Now that we are moving to a new city, I will have a front row seat to see how Paleo living is accepted there.  We did have lunch a popular eatery called Five Guys Burgers and Fries, that was sort of low carb friendly.  You can order a burger or hot dog as a wrap, but they are deep into peanuts and peanut oil.  If you are sensitive/allergic, don't go in, there are peanuts flying everywhere!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment